If you haven’t read The Prod Squad article that introduces you to the key stakeholders that you will be working with as a Product Manager, please check it out before continuing.
Already familiar with who you will be working with and just want advice on what questions to ask? Continue!
Note: This list will be updated on a regular basis
- What tools do designers use to show off their latest work and how do I gain access to it?
- How involved are the designers in the product development process?
- When should I involve the designers in the development process?
- What are all of the review processes that must be completed before a design can be finalized and released to public?
- How long does each review process take and who are the decision makers for each review?
- How can I access Alpha and Beta builds for all of the platforms in which our product is released (iPhone, Android, Desktop/Laptop)
- Once an engineer has submitted code, what are the steps in the approval process until the code updates are visible in the following releases:
- Are there any documents which show an overview of the current technical architecture (at a high level)
- Is there any engineering training that I can have access to to become more familiar with the engineering architecture and architectural terms. (This is for the more curious PM)
- What are the release schedules for alpha, beta, and public builds?
- What are all the codebases and which one do our changes belong to?
User Experience Research
- When must user research requests be submitted for a project?
- How long does it take to set up a user research session?
- What is my role for each user research session?
- What information do you need from me in order to set up a user research session?
- When should I involve you in the product development process?
Marketing and Communications
- How do you determine which features get their own campaigns?
- How far in advance would you need to be made of an upcoming feature?
- Are you involved in determining the wording/messaging used in the various aspects of our products (dialog boxes, call-to-action buttons)? If so, how much time do you need to approve wording requests?
- What tools do you use to track metrics (global metrics) of released products?
- How do you set up feature-specific metrics to be tracked during development? (ie If I have a button whose clicks need to be tracked, how do we implement this?).
- What A/B testing tool do you have in place? How do I access it? How do I set up experiments?
Other Product Managers on your team
- What does a typical PRD look like?
- What is the escalation process for cross-team collaboration issues?
- When releasing a product, who must we notify? How?
- What are general guidelines for collaborating with designers? Engineering? Legal? Marketing? Data Science?
- In what situations must I receive approval for product decisions?
- In what situations am I free to make decisions myself?